Earlier today, someone I consider to be one of today’s most talented Eurorack designers provided some very insightful feedback on the i8 design over a long and detailed email. Here is a short summary of his main points, ignoring the ones that cannot be addressed without losing the integrity of our approach:
- Deliver 3 to 4 brilliant submodules from day one
- Use RGB knob illumination to help users memorize functions
- Provide more analog ports per channel (ideally 12 or more)
- Use 12V instead of 5V for analog ports
- Get rid of the Arduinos
- Provide better isolation between analog and digital signals
- Use SPI as main digital bus
- Use a single ARM processor to drive everything
- Reduce dependency on any software that could become obsolete
I tend to agree with pretty much everything.
I’m going back to the drawing board.